PASTORAL RESIDENCY AT MT. AUBURN PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The Pastoral Residency at Mount Auburn Presbyterian Church (MAPC) is a two-year mentored ministry program designed to equip emerging church leaders for a lifetime of effective ministry. MAPC seeks to provide recent seminary graduates a healthy church environment in which to begin their validated (not called) ordained ministry and continue developing their vocational identity. The Pastoral Resident will serve a two-year term at MAPC in a full-time capacity, paid and with full benefits. During their service, they will experience a wide range of ministry opportunities suited to the Resident’s gifts, abilities, eventual ministry focus, and the needs of the congregation, with multiple opportunities to be mentored within the congregation and by the pastor at MAPC. This is the first of three possible two-year residencies that will be offered by MAPC over the next six years as a result of a successful, large-scale fundraising campaign to enhance our ministry and mission capacity and partnerships in the wider church, community, and creation. MAPC especially encourages applications from people whose identities or history of advocacy may make it difficult to receive a first call. There is no guarantee of a resulting call upon completion of the two-year residency. However, we expect that ordination and extra training will make the search for a call more viable for the Resident.
ABOUT OUR CHURCH
The mission of MAPC is to:
- Practice heroic hospitality and care with Jesus as our guide;
- Joyfully and creatively praise God;
- Engage all ages of our community in progressive education; and
- Be a prophetic voice working for social justice.
We have been a leader in Cincinnati and in the PC(USA) on issues of LGBTQ+ equality and have seen our efforts and inspiration make a tangible difference in policies and culture. We are engaged in a number of justice concerns now, and strive to continue to be a leading religious voice in the Cincinnati faith community and in the denomination.
A successful candidate for the Pastoral Residency will be:
- A person of deep faith, a hospitable spirit, commitment to justice, and eagerness to explore spirituality and action within a progressive faith community.
- A recent graduate or soon to graduate with a Master of Divinity degree from an accredited seminary or divinity school.
- A candidate for ordination in the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), as declared by the Presbytery under whose care the candidate falls.
- Able to successfully complete an interview with the Presbytery of Cincinnati Committee on Ministry and submit a Statement of Faith.
The Pastoral Residency encourages newly ordained ministers to develop patterns of work that maximize their pastoral leadership gifts and skills, in collaboration with the installed Pastor and the Session. Residents connect their theological, biblical, and pastoral studies with the day-to-day life of a congregation. Broadly, the Resident should expect to participate in all facets of pastoral ministry under the supervision of the Pastor, including:
- Assisting with the planning and leadership of Sunday worship services, including preaching and presiding in the Sacraments of baptism and the Lord’s Supper.
- Supporting church activities, special events, and projects, such as the Investing in a Just Future initiative.
- Providing pastoral care to members of the congregation and communities of the church through phone and personal contact and visitation.
- Teaching and offering faith development and education opportunities to members of the congregation.
- Assisting with new member and confirmation classes.
- Participating as a member of the pastoral team in weekly staff meetings and pastoral meetings, and by attending meetings of committees and communities.
- Engaging in regular meetings with the pastor for mentoring and pastoral collegiality.
- Representing the congregation at public events, particularly those pertaining to mission partnerships and justice causes.
- Participate in the outreach and social justice ministries of the congregation, including appropriate communication using social media and the church website.
- Officiating weddings and funerals as pastoral rotation requires.
- Participate in the governing councils of the church as required by ordination vows.
In addition, the Pastoral Resident will have the opportunity to deepen skills in an area of particular interest, taking into consideration the unique gifts, abilities, and goals of the Resident.
The Pastoral Resident will be compensated commensurate with the minimums set by the Presbytery of Cincinnati, which for 2020 is a minimum effective salary of $45,675.98 including housing allowance. The position compensation includes full participation in the Board of Pensions system, four weeks of vacation, and two weeks of continuing education annually.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The Pastoral Resident must have a valid driver’s license and personal vehicle or the ability to navigate public transportation between their home, the church, and common off-site ministry locations.
Physical requirements include but may not be limited to frequent sitting, handling of files and books, and use of computer keyboards, telephones, and other office equipment.
Mental requirements include but may not be limited to: basic math functions, intermediate to advanced reading, advanced reasoning, advanced speaking ability, advanced writing ability, and ability to function well with a moderate noise level and frequent interruption.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THE PASTORAL RESIDENCY PROGRAM
Application deadline: April 30, 2020, with applications considered on a rolling basis.
Please send the following:
- A cover letter addressing why you seek a pastoral residency program and this one in particular, and how your background and life experiences have shaped your call.
- Presbyerian Church (USA) PIF or a suitable alternative.
Selected finalists will be interviewed via Skype and/or in person. Final interviews will be conducted in Cincinnati.
Application materials may be mailed or emailed to:
Mt. Auburn Presbyterian Church
103 William Howard Taft Rd.
Cincinnati, OH 45219